Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Nobel Prize for Literature

The winner of the Nobel Prize for literature, Elfriede Jelinek of Austria, did not show up to claim her prize. She said that she is mentally ill wih agoraphobia. No, not angoraphobia, which would be unnatural fear of soft sweaters and rabbits. Her problem is crowds and flying. "Perhaps I'll take a boat to New York City one day. I'm just afraid that the speed and noise would make me mad as soon as I set foot on land."

Note the use of the future tense. Yes, let's avoid making her crazy. By all means.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought agoraphobia was fear of spiders. No wait, that's arachnophobia....and the spelling is wrong too, I bet.

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    That was me being all Anonymous yesterday. I forgot to check the proper circle.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Autographaphobia: posting anonymously for fear of signatures.

    Icouldaswornaphobia: fear of forgetting to sign in before posting.

    Yuckypedaphobia: fear of tasting your own shoe in your mouth after saying something stupid to soldiers about armor. Again.

    Triskaidekaphobia: White House fear that 13 cabinet secretaries will resign (it's at eight now, counting two before the last election). My fear that they won't.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home