Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Blog Kills Brain Cells

Let me explain: a friend sent me an email concerning the blog, and how it gets put together. He mused,

“I’ll try to contribute when I can….hmmmm I guess I’ll need a pseudonym. To help throw Al Qaeda off my track, has ‘Sheik Jer-Bootie’ been taken???”

Well, yes, we don’t like to use real names here, because there are crazy people out there. But his clever, apt pun popped the clutch and ground the gears in my well-oiled but cantankerous old mental transmission, and I immediately started humming “Shake Yer Booty”, the classic from K.C. and the Sunshine Band. The song became more fascinating than blogs, or emails, or puns; and I found myself looking for the lyrics. Then I found them. Then reading the lyrics out loud as I noodled out the tune. Then putting the lyrics into an email to my friend. And then humming along with them again.

My email to my friend went like this:

“Alas, you got me started on KC & the Sunshine Band. I really liked that song, before I read the lyrics (below). Now, I think I'm brain dead. (I'm worried, because I think I want to read 'em again...)

“Enjoy!

“Everybody, get on the floor, let’s dance / Don’t fight the feeling, give yourself a chance / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake your booty, Shake your booty / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake your booty, Shake your booty / You can, You can do it / Very Well / You’re the best in the world, I can tell / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake your booty, Shake your booty / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake your booty, Shake your booty / (Shake, Shake, Shake, Shake) / (Shake, Shake, Shake, Shake) / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake your booty, Shake your booty / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake, Shake, Shake / Shake your booty, Shake your booty / (shake, shake, shake, shake) / shake your booty / Don’t fight the feeling / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty / Give Yourself a chance / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty / You can do it, do it / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty / Come on Come on now / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty / OO Diamond sister / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty / do your duty / (shake, shake, shake, shake) shake your booty.”

Now I’m convinced that a good cut-and-paste is more valuable in writing a pop song than a big vocabulary. I can DO this! “Shake shake shake…”

2 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    I can get the tune out of your head: just replace it with another one. I don't want to have this one playing in MY head all day, so I'll just say there's a little kids ride in Disneyland, in boats, with small villages of small people, and this song plays over and over and over. The song sucks, but the ride is neat; they've built kind of a small world... OOPS! THAT'S IT! "It's a world of joy and a world of..." Now I'm stuck with it... -Greg

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    What a great blog! Everybody, go to Reflectations and enjoy. (No cracks about the eagle; it has a' attitude!)

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home