Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Monday, November 29, 2004

Gay Couples Leave Arkansas as Amendment Takes Effect


NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (Nov. 28) - At least one gay couple has decided to leave the state as an amendment to the Arkansas constitution goes into effect Thursday that bans gay marriage.

"The law does not respect me the way I respect it," said Deborah New, who along with partner Kristy Seaton has decided to move from North Little Rock to Oregon. "So I'm taking my money and my disposable income and my education and my charitable volunteering and everything else I contribute to this economy with me." The couple said they may eventually move to Canada, where gay marriage is legal. Their concern is that the amendment could have an affect on legal contracts they've set up to establish their relationship.

------------

Wait a minute. What did I miss here? The headline says “Couples leave”, then right away after they got my attention, it’s, well, at least ONE anyway… And they aren’t “married” apparently, since they’ve set up legal contracts somehow to establish their relationship. And while I am being picky, “affect” is a verb and “effect” is a noun. You know, sometimes I feel sorry for Canada because of the nut cases we send them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home