Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Alger Hiss Story

I have early memories of sitting on the floor, watching a new-fangled invention called tel-ee-vishun. It was showing some boring guys in suits talking from behind a table, and my Mom would watch it for hours. I had voted for Howdy Doody, but I lost. Later, I found out what we were watching.

Oliver Wendell Holmes & Alger Hiss Posted by Hello

During McCarthy-ism, the House Un-American Activities Committee brought a wide variety of people to answer charges about their alleged Communist activities. A prominent name was Alger Hiss. When I first heard his name at the age of six or seven, I knew he must be guilty, because he sounded like a snake.

This site has changed my mind. Now I think that McCarthy was probably the snake. And his assistants. Check it out yourself; it’s interesting, especially if you still think that It Could Not Happen Here! Oh, and if you do not know the connection between Oliver Wendell Holmes and Alger Hiss, the site will tell you.


1 Comments:

  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger Atomic Lib Smasher said…

    Google "Verona Papers" or "Pumpkin Papers" sometime, you'll find out that Hiss WAS a spy and McCarthy and Whitaker Chambers were right.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home