Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas in a RV Campground

.
.

It was a great, great Christmas day!

I went to Mass in the church which was our parish when last we lived in California, in 1978. Saint Rose of Lima, in Chula Vista. Not a rich parish, about 50% Hispanic, and still very vibrant. Only about half full at the 7:00 am - everyone was opening presents, I'm sure. It was really nice to spend some time thinking of how it all began with a poor, young family in Bethlehem. And thanking God for it!

Actually found a gas station which was both open and selling diesel, so I sated Big Ride's incredible thirst. $79.

I had mixed the cleaner a couple of days ago, so I scrubbed the remaining 75% of Big Easy's exterior this morning. It is remarkably white again!

I broke down the seven pounds of ground beef, the 1-1/2 pounds of cooked shrimp, the four pounds of tri-tip beef roast into meal-sized vacuum sealed Food Saver bags, and froze them. I put some fresh marinade in with the beef. Then, I roasted some of the tri-tip on a hot charcoal grill, while I roasted a seven pound turkey roast in the electric oven. I made sweet potatoes (the new electric frying pan was great for that), a baked potato, fresh green beans almondine, and some giant Pop-n-Bake biscuits. Dinner was just sampling from each; we have lots and lots of leftovers, which was the whole purpose after all.

I spoke with all four of my children, and my brother and my sister, several cousins and my aunt all over the country throughout the day. Most of us speak fairly frequently anyway, but this is a special day.

I even had a "fireplace" fire tonight, in one of the fire pits outside the trailer. Lacy is a true wolf; she is very shy around flames.

Tomorrow, I must pack all of this up, and drive back to Vacaville. Work starts again Tuesday. Ah, well; this was a wonderful, wonderful vacation!

What did you do?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger kenju said…

    Sorry you were out there alone, Greg. We went to our son's home in Greensboro; had a great meal, stayed overnight and watched my granddaughters open their Santa presents, drove back to Ral. and went to see The Producers. I recommend it!

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Kenju, it sounds like you had a great time, too! I really enjoyed your (i)Producers(/i) review on your blog! I enjoyed the first one (Mostel/Wilder), and I missed the Broadway one because I had to give away the tickets and go to my Mom's funeral. But I will see this one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home