Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

More Serious Ruminations

Gentle Reader,

(Who started their column like that? Deja vu all over again!)

I have learned a very lot about blogs and "blogging" in the past week. [Why does every noun have to become a verb today? Was Walter Winchell "columning"? Not! ] I have planned many improvements to Hasty Ruminations. But, there will be a short pause while real life takes over.

For one, I am 95% moved from the New Jersey house, which is freshly painted, repaired and almost market ready. I am 94% moved in to the rented place in Maryland. The missing 1% is loaded in the trailer and ready for a trip today.

But alas alack, caloo callay, 'tis not brillig today, because I just found out that a dear aunt has died. It must be December, because that's when everyone in my clan dies in Chicago. So, a quick five hour trip to Maryland, drop the trailer unloaded, then dog Lacy and I will drive to Chicago on Thursday for the wake and the funeral. It will be good to see the family again. We always wind up having a great time and lots of laughs (is it the Irish wake pattern?) except during the wake and during the funeral themselves. I'm driving because flying anymore is nuts and Lacy doesn't take to pat down searches. I'll never use those miles!

I shall be back as soon as I can!

-Greg

2 Comments:

  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    I'm sorry about your aunt!!!!!! That's terrible. Be careful and come back safely.

    P.S. you moved from New Jersey to Maryland because you secretly want to be southern, right?

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Ma'am, Ah have been told that Mary-Land doesn't count as a Southern state, since it did not join the Confederacy. This, from a fellow I grew up with in Chicago who is now transplanted as a surgeon to Tampa. I learned that the 11 states of the Confederacy were Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. And the states of Missouri and Kentucky each had two separate governments, one Union, one Confederate. As such, they were claimed by both sides as members.) And West Virginia seceded from Virginia and later rejoined the Union or United States. HOWEVAH (working on my southern accent here) I cross the Mason-Dixon line when I come south to Maryland, so it MUST be southern.

    But, dear aunt will be missed!

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home