Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Movie Quotes


Posted by Hello

I started this as a short article, but it grew. Just jot down the quote number, and write the number and the movie's name in a comment. How many can you name?

Update: The solutions (by Meredith and by Mellie Helen) have been placed in bold type. Don't worry; the rest are from main stream movies - you will groan when you hear the answers. No artsy films.

Just two left, folks!


--
1. The Passion of The Christ
“My commandment to you after I am gone is this: Love one another. As I have loved you, so love one another.”

--
2. Titanic
“But this ship can't sink!"
“She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. And she will. It is a mathematical certainty."

--
3. Goldfinger
“No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.”

--
4. The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Mrs. Leverlilly: “You've ruined that piano!”
Clouseau: “What is the price of one piano compared to the terrible crime that's been committed here?”
Mrs. Leverlilly: “But that's a priceless Steinway!”
Clouseau: “Not anymore.”

--
5. The Green Mile
“I didn't know the sponge was supposed to be wet.”

--
6. When Harry Met Sally
"I'll have what she's having."

--
7. ET
"I'll be right here." (HINT: After he phones home...)

--
8. The Breakfast Club
“The next time I have to come in here, I'm crackin' skulls!”

--
9. War Games
“Shall we play a game?”

--
10.
Foley: “Mayo I want you D.O.R.”
Mayo: “No sir. You can kick me out, but I ain't quitting.”
Foley: “Get in to your fatigues Mayo cause by the end of weekend you'll quit.”

(HINT: Another quote from this famous drill sergeant: Better stop eyeballing me, boy. You're not worthy enough to look your superiors in the eye! Use your peripheral vision, or I'll rip your eyeballs out of their sockets and eat them for breakfast! Understand...? Now, when I say "Understand," I want the whole group to say "Yes, sir!" UNDERSTAND...! Hey, folks, we ain't stupid around here. We know why most of you come here. But before you get to sell what we teach you over at United Airlines, you gotta give the Navy six years of your life. Lots of things can happen in six years, including another war. And if any of you are too peaceful to dump napalm on an enemy village where there MIGHT be women and children, I'm gonna find that out. UNDERSTAND...!

--
11. Back to the Future
“Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?”

--
12. Steel Magnolias
“Sammy's so confused. He don't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.”

--
13. A Christmas Story
“It's... it's... it's indescribably beautiful! It reminds me of the Fourth of July!”

(HINT: "You could put your eye out!")

--
14. Beverly Hills Cop
“Wait a second, I have an idea. Is there something that I have in this office that I can hand to you, and that would make you kind of forget that you're holding those pink tickets there?”

--
15.
Eddie: “I don't know if I oughta go sailin' down no hill with nothin' between the ground and my brains but a piece of government plastic.”
Clark: “Do you really think it matters, Eddie?”

--
16. Caddyshack
“Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.”

--
17. The Naked Gun
Frank: “It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girl dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.”
Jane Spencer: “Goodyear?”
Frank: “No, the worst.”

--
18. Star Wars: A New Hope
“Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

--
19. Goonies
“Hey, you guys!”

--
20. Rain Man
“It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad let's me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.”

--
21. Ghostbusters
“Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!”

(HINT: This movie had a starring role for the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.)

--
22. Top Gun
Maverick: “She's lost that loving feeling.”
Goose: “No, no she hasn't.”
Maverick: “Oh, yes she has.”
Goose: “I hate it when she does that.”

--
23. Young Frankenstein
“Do you mean to tell me that I put an abnormal brain into an 8 foot tall, 300 pound, GORILLA?!!!”

--
24. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
“Be excellent to each other... And party on, dudes.”

--
25. Blues Brothers
“No I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.”


Can you think of other memorable quotes from favorite movies? I think that we have just scratched the surface.

Please see Meredith's link here. And a great job by Mellie Helen, too!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    How about "You can't handle the truth!"

    and "Get away from her, you bitch"

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Amanda, the first one is from "A Few Good Men", but I don't know the second one. Very Good!

    Meredith, very, very good. Every one is right except... well, take a second look at #24. Wayne's World took place in my high school town, Aurora,Il.; the movie for #24 took place in a modern suburb of Los Angeles, north of the city in, I think, the Valley. (The studio didn't have to pay per diem during filming!) It involved time travel... in a phone booth! And PLEASE link and extend this!!

    -Greg

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Time for a hint?

    The movies for clues 3, 4 and 25 have a color in their titles.

    The colors are blue, gold and pink.

    -Greg

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger Mellie Helen said…

    1. I'm not sure which movie -- it could be The Passion of the Christ -- but I've read the Book.
    3. Goldfinger (I got that one even without your helpful clue)
    4. The Pink Panther...Strikes Back? (I know it's obviously a Pink Panther movie, but not sure which one.
    9. War Games
    15. National Lampoon's Vacation
    16. Caddyshack (Bill Murray was great in that bizarre role!)
    18. Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode IV), spoken by Princess Leia to Luke as he comes to rescue her.
    23. Young Frankenstein
    25. (Sheer guess, using your "blue" clue) Blue Velvet

     
  • At 4:20 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    MOST Excellent, Mellie Helen!
    1. GOOD comment about The Book!
    3. Auric said it. Yes!
    4. Strikes Again, and with a vengence.
    9. Matt and WOPR
    15. Oops! Close, verrry close! Just add one word...
    16. Much of that was ad libbed by Murray. Harold Ramis directed, and was afraid of him!
    18. VERY good! I didn't even know the new name of the oldest Star Wars movie.
    23. "It's Frawn-ken-steen!"
    25. Oops! As in the response to "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" - "No, Brother."

    --hint--

    -Greg

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Mellie Helen said…

    7. Ah! E.T.
    13. A Christmas Story -- when the father is looking at the leg lamp, I think!
    15. Sorry: National Lampoon's SUMMER Vacation
    21. Ghostbusters
    25. D'oh!! Blues Brothers! -- I had been picturing John Candy saying that line, but couldn't put my finger on it -- because it was John Belushi's line!

    How'd I do this time? Better? :)

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Mellie, MUCH better!

    Yes!
    Yes!
    (No)
    Yes!
    Yes!

    Alright!

    -Greg

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    from gary(ops)

    #10...."An officer and a gentleman"
    ...new quote..."Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!!!!!".....another new quote..."Who'da thunk it"

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    15. christmas vacation

     

Post a Comment

<< Home