Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Childhood

Five Things I Miss From Childhood:

This comes from Mellie Helen at Golly Blog Howdy. A trip down memory lane. Here are Greg's five things:

1. My Friends
Carol and I learned to smoke in Bill's garage attic. Every afternoon, we'd romp in the weeds behind the houses, or go to the Plaza for some shopping. Take the Illinois Central into Chicago to the Museum of Science and Industry. Playing Pull Joe on the busy street in front of the house, with an imaginary rope. Paper routes.

2. The Midwest
We didn't have to lock the car in the driveway. People said hi to us kids on the street. If you found a quarter, you told your friends in case one of them lost it, because you'd never lie to a friend.

3. Shock Theater
Friday nights on TV after our bed time. Horror flicks. Make some popcorn. Sometimes, they even showed blood. But it was black on our black-and-white TV.

4. How peaceful a house can be without arguing.
I learned this after childhood, by contrast. I don't miss the arguing.

5. Sock Hops
We would dance with four or five different girls. They always smelled so fresh and clean. How did they wash their hair before a 7:00 pm dance when no one had a hair dryer? Especially Ladies' Choice.


And now it’s your turn. The Rules:
Remove the first person from the following list, bump everyone up one spot and put your blog in the number 5 spot. Please link all of the blogs as they are linked now, or you won’t get no dessert.

Shades of Pink
Mommy Brain
Routon Family Homeschool
Golly Blog Howdy!
Hasty Ruminations

Now select four folks who hopefully haven’t already done this meme, and add them to your list - with a disclaimer that if they choose to decline participation, it will not result in seven years’ bad luck, or even a bad hair day. Come and play if you like; no pressure.
And the tagging goes to:

Brenda at Planet Brenda
Stew at Get Stewed
Meredith at Random Thoughts
And YOU, Gentle Reader


I wonder how much of our recollections are shaded by the “things were so much better when I was a kid” phenomenon!

8 Comments:

  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Daisy said…

    I don't know if everything was SO much better, but it was certainly a less hectic world back then. I too, grew up in the midwest and remember you could leave your car unlocked not only in the driveway, but if you went into town for groceries, you could leave the car unlocked. Also, I remember when a man's word and a handshake meant something. And "Sock Hops"!!! Oh my God, I haven't heard that term for a long time!!! I remember going to the "Sock Hops". They were just so much fun. I always hoped a boy would ask to dance with me but it never happened. :-(

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    I'm game Greg.
    But first, the dreaded lawn mowing...

    Oh and I never was asked to dance with a boy either Gerbera Daisy. Wait, uh. No, that was a girl.

    I think.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Mellie Helen said…

    1. Smoking in a garage attic and whilst romping in the weeds? I hope you have either quit smoking or at least have learned to practice the habit in safer locales!

    2. Now that you're headed to California, be sure to lock your car when it's in the garage. And also put on The Club. But please don't bother with an alarm system; no one pays any attention to those anymore.

    3. Oooh -- you've reminded me of Fright Night with Seymour!

    4. I am glad for you to have discovered peace in the home :)

    5. We girl never divulge our beauty secrets.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Mellie, not to brag (well, YES to brag), I quit smoking 11 years ago, and drinking 'way back in '78. My parents are buried next to each other, and I have the plot at their feet, so I will hear them argue again, I fear.

    And Gerbera Daisy, if you know the tune to "A Thousand Stars in the Sky", or "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay", play one in your mind as I ask you for this dance.

    -Greg

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    HEY EVERYONE: Jump on over to Meredith's blog (Random Thoughts). Her memories are posted, and they're great!

    -Greg

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    UPDATE 2: You gotta check out Stew's blog (Get Stewed). For a big galloot with a degree in glue sniffing, he's pretty sensitive, too. (Did I just SAY that?!)

    -Greg

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    akkkk! I just found this. I gotta get busy!

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Oops! Sorry, Brenda. Didn't mean for this to be a stress thing!

    But (tap, tap, tap)... we've been WAITING!

    :)

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home