Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Tradition, Tradition

.

We always had a ham on New Year's day until once I asked why we didn't try to roast a prime rib? We all liked to order it at restaurants; why not do it ourselves? "Oh, no!" I was told, "I would not take responsibility for that much meat!" She didn't want to take responsibility for a lot of things, it turns out.

So, I took the responsibility. I did the whole meal every New Year's Day. I bought everything, and cooked everything. Prime rib, bone in; Yorkshire pudding; twice baked potatoes; green beans almondine (fresh); biscuits, sometimes homemade bread; brocoli with Holandaise sauce, or corn; Waldorf salad (homemade); and homemade pie or shortcake for desert.



Today, my oldest son is hosting the dinner, featuring prime rib. She who would not cook it is one of the guests who will eat it. I am 3,000 miles away, alas.

I'm glad that one of my things has turned into a tradition. "Yi-dil-di-dil-dee-dum, ya-dil-yidle-yidle-yidlediddledeedledeeldedum." Like Tevye. If I'd had my choice of which one to make a tradition, it might have been going to Church on Christmas and Sundays.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    Stew and I are trying to invent a holiday that centers around lobster.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Most cool, Brenda! It could be in honor of Stephen King's series, The Gunslinger. In the first book, the hero winds up on a beach in another world, and a finger gets bitten off by a critter called a Lobstrocity!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home