Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Find Me A Tree Hugger

I noticed that when I read most stuff in three-ring binders – equipment manuals, procedures to do something, instructions and recipes and menus – I wind up turning a lot of pages.

Twice as many as when I read a book. It seems like all I do is turn pages.

It’s because the stuff is only printed on one side of the paper. So, the binder is twice as big, to hold twice as much paper, than it would be if somebody had pushed the two sided copy button on the copier. I have to have twice the number of filing cabinets, book cases, mail rooms, material handling carts, pallets of paper, forklift trucks, semi trailer trucks, forests… well, it goes on and on.

I’m not a tree hugger. I’m not a radical environmental foam-at-the-mouther. I could probably get to like a spotted owl or a snail darter, if they came with garlic and a zest of lemon. To me, Greenpeace is just another terrorist group which has nothing to do with either green or peace.

But, I gotta think it would be cheaper to copy on both sides of the paper.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger j&c said…

    Yep. There is so much waste inherent in this economy that this is just the tip of the iceberg. And you are also right to see that you don't need to be a tree-hugger to see this as a problem. There are many issues on which environmentalists and economists can agree, if they would ever get done shouting at each other ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home