Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Monday, May 23, 2005

Wording me softly

From an AP news story:

"The family of former professional football player Pat Tillman says the Army disrespected his memory by lying in its investigation of his death in Afghanistan last year."

I sympathize with the Tillman family. But I take issue with AP and the editors who think that anyone can take any noun and make it into a verb, without so much as a "by your leave" or "if you please".

When I speak ill of someone, I show him disrespect; I am disrespectful; or I treat him disrespectfully. I do NOT "disrespect" him, because that just ain't a word.

If AP continues to word me to distraction, I will show them disrespect.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    I guess when we hear something used a certain way a hundred million times, we stop thinking about it.....but a hundred million times doesn't make it right.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Brenda, you're right. As we used to say in the Navy, "a million here, a million there, it all adds up. Soon, you've got yourself some REAL money!"

    -Greg

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    Wake up, you have blogging to do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home