Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Katrina to Rita

.
Maybe Katrina taught them how to cope with a gulf hurricane.

One of the lessons learned: let folks evacuate WITH their pets. (Noah didn't need to be told twice.) Here's the story from USA Today:

"Rescuers in New Orleans heard from many residents that they didn't leave because they weren't allowed to take their pets to shelters or hotels.

"In Galveston, city officials let people know early that they should bring their animals along, and the city buses streaming out of town Tuesday and Wednesday were full of cats, dogs and birds. Candice Avery, 54, who has lived in Galveston since 1987, was relieved that she got a ride off the island with her two cats, Harley and Scooter.


"They're my babies," said Avery, who is divorced and disabled. If she could not take her cats, she said, "I would have stayed."

4 Comments:

  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    I was so glad when I saw this on TV. If I were there, I would not leave without my pets or my kids either!

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    I agree, Kenju. And, in about that order...

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    I took a vow when I purchased/adopted my pets. I will do right by them and never abandon them.

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Good for you, Brenda. Personally, I'd take such a vow. Snakes, of course, excepted. Always except the snakes. I read Harry Potter, and I know about snakes.

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home