Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Lacy Update

Brenda very kindly asked for a Lacy the Doggie update, so here goes.

(Lacy started severe vomiting on Wednesday during our drive back to Maryland from North Carolina. (We are moving from MD to NC.) The vomiting abated about 11:00 pm, to be replaced by diarrhea with bleeding overnight Wednesday. I took her to the vet in MD on Thursday morning, where she has been ever since.)

The vet called me yesterday to ask if I could drop by and encourage her to eat some very bland food. They wanted to see if she could hold it down.

I did, and she ate a tiny bit. We visited for a while. Her color is back, and some of her energy, and she really likes the people there but she really wants to come home. I noticed that her ears are warm again, meaning that there is enough serum in the blood for the body to handle its lowest priority task, warming the extremeties. It had apparently started shutting that stuff down when her blood solids went to 66%. Today they are 44%, which is normal for her. Talk about dehydration! It was a crisis.

But, she couldn't keep even that small amount of food down, so she stayed overnight. Today (Saturday), they said she still has some blood in the stool, but no more vomiting overnight. They wanted to keep her, and I wanted her to stay, too, until she is good. So, I drove a load from Maryland to North Carolina today alone. The trailer capacity is 3,000 pounds, and I exceed that for sure.


Back to Maryland tomorrow. The packer came yesterday (Friday), and the moving truck comes Monday. If Lacy is ready to travel, fine. If not, that clinic is so good, I will reluctantly leave her there during the move and return later in the week.

I'm still very worried, but also optimistic now. We had a GREAT visit today! She was like her old Lacy, even barking when it was time for me to leave! That's the first time I'd heard her voice since Tuesday, and the hospital staff all applauded!

Thanks for asking, Brenda!

-Greg

7 Comments:

  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger kenju said…

    Welcome to NC, and I will hope Lacy can move here soon too. I am
    http://justaskjudy.blogspot.com

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    Greg, I am so glad Lacy seems to doing better. What does the vet think is wrong, is it just a virus or something?

    Greg I am glad to introduce you to Kenju, one of the nicest people on the internet. Besides you, of course. And me!

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    Hey Greg, I hope everything works out for you and your Lucy. I'll say a little prayer for her.

    Stew

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    Lacy I mean. Sorry. I'm an idiot.

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Kenju, thank you! I hope Lacy will make the trip soon. And Brenda, we don't know the cause, though food is suspect.

    Stew, thank you for your prayers. And "Lucy" isn't far wrong; when she comes home, I may call her "Lucky Lacy".

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Hi Greg, glad to hear Lacy is on the mend, make sure you give her a big hug next time you see her!

     
  • At 1:05 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Thanks, Amanda. I saw her Saturday, but I haven't heard anything since then. I will talk to the vet on Monday, but it will be hard to get there since the movers are coming Monday.

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home