Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Monday, June 13, 2005

Sean Who?


Posted by Hello

Sean Penn is now in Iran as a journalist to cover the elections for the San Francisco Chronicle. Past pronouncements from the Temper Tantrum Kid:

• "I hate journalists, or better, I hate paparazzi. Yeah, I punched them out and I'll do it again if it's necessary. I think a fist in their face is the only way to protect my private life. I demand my freedom, and I must have it."
• "If too many people like you, you're doing something wrong."
• Accepting his Independent Spirit Award: "You tolerate me, you really tolerate me."
• "I don't think you can get away with putting your talents in a toilet bowl and not having them flushed away forever. There is a level of murder of one's soul and of the culture that they're supposed to be feeding vitamins to…"
• "Simply put, if there is a war or continued sanctions against Iraq, the blood of Americans and Iraqis alike will be on our hands."


Yep: The guy who assaulted photographers is now working in the Fourth Estate.

Penn arrived in Tehran on Thursday and is expected to prepare an article on the election and Iran's controversial nuclear programs.

This guy is not in my Infamous Famous book, like Jane (shudder) Fonda; but he is obnoxious enough that I will donate a T-shirt for him to wear in the Middle East, when I get a chance.


Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    I saw the irony in all of this too. I would never sent this smoldering power-keg of a man to Iran to cover ANYTHING.

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    I agree, Brenda.

    BREAKING NEWS (da da... da da... da da...) "Actor Sean Penn, covering the presidential election in Iran as a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, had his camera confiscated briefly Sunday.

    "Several hundred women had participated in a sit-in outside the entrance to Tehran University, demanding rights they lost following the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

    "Chants and taunts grew louder and police surrounded the demonstrators and pushed people who were trying to join the group. In addition, authorities cut off cell phone service in the area and challenged reporters observing the protest.

    "Authorities briefly seized the video camera of Penn, reported Editor & Publisher.

    "Meanwhile, Iran saw one of its most violent days in more than a decade, with five bombs killing at least nine and wounding dozens in the center of Tehran."

    He is beginning to see it!

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home