Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Big Ride, Big Stress #2

I rode in the tow truck to the Ford truck dealership. Once they saw the truck come in on a tow, they threw out the schedule and started work right away.

In about half an hour, the service manager told me that the oil didn't really drain out. One of the oil pump high pressure seals blew out, and the pump sprayed the oil out. The engine died, and refused to start again, because the low oil pressure switch did its job and protected the engine.

The good news was that the pump is covered by the extended warranty. I would have to pay the $100 deductible, and for the consummable parts used in the oil change (oil filter, air filter, etc.) but they will charge the oil to Ford. I also paid for the tow, but my insurance will cover that (after another deductible). So I got over $800 worth of repairs for a fraction of that.

I have been planning to upgrade the truck, to get better fuel mileage: a Banks power system to upgrade the horsepower, a new exhaust braking system to reduce wear and tear on the mechanical brakes, etc. But I found out that they invalidate the extended warranty, so I will time the upgrades to the normal expiration of the warranty.

I will tell you: someone Upstairs is definitely looking out for us!

Not only that: they got the work done by 3:00 pm the same day, including a complete manual wash to get rid of the oil and all of the other dirt!

On Thursday (today) I went back to the dealership, and met with the General Manager. I asked him to bring in the service manager, because I wanted to tell them something. (Of course they were expecting the worst.) I told the story, including my engineering and maintenance background, and I told them how completely pleased I am; that they had exceeded my expectations. Of course, they are now having a good day!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    You should thank your lucky stars because you are one lucky person. If that had been me....I don't even want to think about it.

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Mellie Helen said…

    You're a good guy, d'you know that? With all the stress and inconveniences you experienced, you still made it a point to go back down to the dealership to personally thank and praise the guys responsible for helping you get back on your way. They will long remember your kind gesture, I am sure.

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    I know that maintenance and service people get criticized more than praised, and a little honest praise goes a long way. It doesn't cost me a lot, but it can literally make their day.

    And, it feels good!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home