Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Domestic Day

Today was very worthwhile, and very domestic.

Before breakfast – before coffee, even – I resumed the repairs and modifications to the trailer. No serious problems: two wooden drawers with broken plastic brackets (plastic? In a fifth wheel?! What were they thinking?), cabinet doors with top hinges but no way to hold the door open except one’s head; and a large closet to which I added four large (2’ X 2’) shelves. I fixed a dilapidated lateral file, beefed it up for bouncing around on Montana’s roads, and loaded in all of my paper files.

I threw out six milk crates (for the files), a broken four drawer cabinet which cost me $35 in California three years ago, and a lot of debris.

Then I showered and dressed.

Ain’t vacation grand?!

Today was also moving day. I moved to another site in the same campground – this one with a connection for my waste water and sewage. So, I’m back to doing dishes and showering in the fifth wheel. What luxury! But the main advantage is that I now have an unobstructed view of 16 mountains in Glacier National Park.

I can look at them for hours. They change as the sun moves and the shadows highlight different features. I can actually feel the stress and worries just melting away. They were totally invisible at sunrise - fog, and clouds ten feet over my head. Seriously! Then they appeared, one at a time. I count them to make sure that they didn't take one away for maintenance.

Lacy made a new friend - Sharon, age 7, from Arizona. Sharon asked if she could please pet Lacy; what a nice question. I gave her the leash, and the two of them romped for 15 minutes, returning breathless, hearts pulsing frantically, both of their tongues dragging, and ear-to-ear grins! They both made new friends today.

Today, finally, was also laundry day. I packed it all up, and used the campground Maytags. These are industrial machines, well worth the extra cost. (I think fees go up 10% with every additional 1,000 feet altitude. It cost me $.25 for six minutes of drying; $2.50 for an hour. But nothing can wreck this day!) I spent the time reading a book on the history of the park. Established in 1911, it has a lot of history.

They may have to come with a tow truck to get me out of here…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home