Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Friday, July 22, 2005

Inside the Park


Glacier National Park Posted by Picasa

Friday, July 22, 2005

I put the date up there because things are timeless here. Without the computer, I cannot tell what day it is. Have you noticed that radio stations don’t tell you the day or date anymore? Besides, I have sworn off radio, TV and newspapers while I am in Glacier.

I took a Red Bus tour of the park yesterday. The buses are circa 1938, originally built by White Freight Truck Inc at about Jeep height, four across seating with five rows. Each row has its own doors. Thirty-three of the remaining buses were renovated by Ford and TMD in 1999, and they are great. Check out the rest of the pictures at http://promptruminations.blogspot.com.

The Going-to-the-Sun Road (which used to be called a Highway) is much improved since my Dad scared us so badly in 1959. I may actually drive it myself now with the truck, though anything over 21 feet is prohibited. I suspect the National Park Service wants to ensure that each car or truck can turn around on the two-lane road in case of accidents, fires or avalanches.

I wrote a lot of family postcards today. A fellow told me about a great fishing hole in the Park (federal land, so a fishing license is not required), so I bought a nifty Pack-It collapsible fishing rod at the Rising Sun lodge in the Park yesterday. We’ll see how Lacy does in the glacier-fed Swift Current Lake at Many Glacier today or tomorrow.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    Yay Greg! I finally got caught up on the blog! What great pictures. "Promptruminations" - LOL!

    How can you stand being away from all the heat and humidity from home is beyond me.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What?!? You can fish without a license in that beautiful paradise? *polishes up rod and reel*

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Brenda, very glad you liked them!

    Mellie, no fishing license is required on the National Park side. Once you cross back into Montana on the East side, you need both a Montana stats fishing license, AND a special permit from the Blackfeet Indian Tribe (since it is their reservation).

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What beautiful photo's. One day Tom & I will have to travel and see all of these great places. Thanks for the postcard. We'll talk to you soon. Nicky Q.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Nicky, I'm glad that you saw the pictures, and that you got the postcard!

    This place is awesome ... you and Tom should travel here. Then, to Whitefish, Montana, which is getting so many Hollywood stars that it's like Beverly Hills North!

    -Greg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home