Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Monday, September 26, 2005

Busy Day!

.
Where to start? Two days ago, Big Ride started chewing its brakes up, so today (Monday) I took it in. A friend in the trailer camp told me not to take it to the local Ford place - murder on brake jobs - but to one in Fairfield CA about 15 miles away. They made room for us, and the truck is in the shop now. I tried to rent a car at the shop across from the Ford place, but no cars. So Ford drove me back to Big Easy, where I cleaned up my mountain bike, filled its tires with the camp's air compressor, and rode to work with my computer in a back pack. Saturday, I had decided to start riding the bike and to explore getting a work out thing like a Bowflex; I just didn't know it would start so soon!

Three miles door to door, about fifteen minutes. I got so much oxygen I floated all afternoon! Then I got to do it again on the way home. Just the mildest of rises and dips. I oiled the bike chain and I always carry a few tools, but I didn't need them. The truck won't be ready until Wednesday, so I have a few more trips ahead of me. I will sleep well tonight!

Speaking of that, when I got home I took Lacy on her long walk. We got over to the leashes-off dog park inside the campground, where two dogs were running and chasing a ball. Their human invited us in - a nice lady from Florida. The dogs, Carson and Uhmano, joined right up with Lacy. Then, a nice family brought in their 40 pound five year old Corgi (a real little fire plug) named Sandy, and Lacy showed off her new trick: walking up the teeter totter until it tips, pushing it down, and running down the other side. Then, another camper lady brought in a very tall, thin black German Shepherd named Klondike, and the party was on! What a great time. Lacy got so worn out that her tongue hung out about 6 inches from her mouth! She will sleep very well tonight, too. That was very serendipity, getting five dogs together.

I wonder why I remember all of the dogs' names, and none of the humans'... Though these were all very nice folks. Sandy's family is traveling throughout the country in a mobile home (called a Class A in the RV world), the two girls being home schooled by their mom who is really a licensed teacher. They are from Boulder, CO, and their house is for sale now.

I made a prototype labeling machine for the client, to help apply labels by hand to the new pouched product they are launching. Once perfected, we will contract a machine shop to build 6 or more. They help the operators get the labels onto a lumpy pouch without getting it crooked or having wrinkles. The intern who works for me borrowed it to label 75 pouches today. He is, of course, well warned of what will happen if he breaks it. He's somewhat nonchalant about his bull-inna-China-shop approach to pharmaceuticals and those devices.

Just started paying my bills with on-line banking. What a great time saver!

Got wonderful books from John and Tina for my birthday: the making of the movie, "Master & Commander", and ships of the Royal Navy from the time of the O'Bryan books. One bore an inscription, "To Grandpa from Ciara" so of course it was good it had a water-proof jacket for my tears! Cool stuff!

I checked with Marriott in Orlando about my vacation club. Doesn't look like I'll have time to assemble the family there by December 31, so they extended this year's eligibility to April 2007. Double nice! With the next week I get in 2006, we can get two weeks together, or use them in any of 2100 other resorts!

More will come tommorrow. Friend Brenda said her blog is being deluged with visitors who want anything she has on the band Stryker or Slipknot (I think - the one whose concert - I use the term lightly, almost wryly - I nearly walked into by mistake in Norfolk VA when I was trying to find the RV show). So she told them to come over HERE to Hasty R.! Boy, with friends like that...

Oh, and I removed the silly word verification thing for comments. It required a degree of hand-eye coordination that I myself don't have anymore. No wonder I got no comments! Maybe I'll go to retina scans instead: "Put your cell phone camera to your eye; take a flash picture; when your vision returns, email the picture to Greg, and have a seat..."

5 Comments:

  • At 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    Glad to hear all is well with you Greg!

    The dog story is hilarious. It seems like it's almost a sin to call the owner by name sometimes. Even when you've met them several times before.

    There was a movie with this as the premis (sp?). I think it was actually called "Dog Park". Little slow getting started but it was a great movie*.

    Since you removed the word verification, I'll plug in one that I'm not using: qdsuql

    Take care,
    Stew

    *I have terrible taste in movies, be forewarned.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Thanks, Stew, for the kind words. Lacy hopes to see the dogs again today; she started looking out the window for them before dawn!

    Gotta find that movie. Here's a review on it I found: "If Dog Park was any lighter, it would float away. As an antidote to cynical and cruel-minded motion pictures, this movie works just fine. Its construction and execution leave us with the undeniable certainty that, in the end, everything will work out for the best." My kinda flick!

    -Greg

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    Greg, sorry to hear about Big Ride but the extra exercise will be good!

    Just doing my part to spread the Slipknot cheer. Was that a Slipknot post you had to remove above?

    Here's my spam word: flyxxl

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    No, Brenda, I removed that "auto post" spam type that said, "Hi! Your have a great generic blog here! I write a blog about nuclear reactors as a Satanic hobby... " The kind I put the incomprehensible word verification thing in to guard against. Some folks just don't have lives.

    I haven't heard from any Golden Slippers yet.

    Big Ride should be done today. Short Round (my bike) sacrificed it's front tire tube to the cause, so I'm walking...

    It's always sunny out here, so my cowboy hat collection is being used a lot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home