Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Saturday, August 13, 2005

A Good Start

Started last Monday at the new client in Vacaville. For once, the client was ready for me: ID badge within an hour, cubicle, computer, and everyone I met knew who I was! The work will eventually focus on validation (proving a process makes the product to specification, as expected), but for now there is a lot of engineering, documentation and work on operating procedures to do.

My cuppa tea.

It’s hot – over 100 degrees F every day – but cool at night, in the 60’s. Plenty of shopping, with over a hundred outlet stores (including Black and Decker and men’s stores).

A feature of the trailer is a nice refrigerator with a freezer, nice but small. Sears is having a sale. Coincidentally, I got a storeroom at the campground this week, 64 square feet, so I have stored all of the stuff I have been tripping over all month. Now, if I store a little more, I will have room for the small chest-type freezer I ordered on sale from Sears. Five cubic feet, with a drop-in from the top and a slide-out drawer on the bottom. When I get it, I will not have to shop every other day for dinner. Once a week would be nice, and would fit my schedule.






Posted by Picasa



The trailer has adequate power wiring for all of this, but campgrounds do not, I have found. Each site has a 30-amp service, with a breaker on a pole. The breaker is exposed to weather, and over the years the breakers start to trip at lower and lower currents; they weaken. So running the trailer air conditioning and starting the microwave, I have found, will never trip the trailer circuit breakers but will usually trip the campground’s breaker. I have taken to running a heavy duty extension cord separately from a small breaker on the campground pole to the microwave, and the problem has been solved. I think that I will now make a permanent connection for that second feed in the trailer, and hook the freezer into it.

The freezer will get power whenever I connect to campground power. When I disconnect power to go on the road, the freezer will turn off. But since it is a drop-in style chest freezer, and since cold air is heavier than warm air, I think that it will keep the contents very cold for 10 hours of driving, until I plug it in again.

It's fun to have projects!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    Woah. You can hold enough chicken dinners for Lacy for at least a month in that baby!!!

    Big Ride
    Big Trailer
    BIG Freezer!

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Brenda, you're right:

    Truck - Big Ride
    Trailer - Big Easy
    Freezer... Lessee...hmm...
    Hey, how about The Big Chill?!

    -Greg

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    Stop by Home Depot and get a replacement circuit. They just pop in. They will probably have a deadman's switch on the pole that will kill the power completely before the block so no danger of electrocution. And if you're paranoid (a good thing to be around electricity) buy a multimeter for ten bucks. Test it before pulling their old circuit. Takes five minutes to do this.

    Give Lacy a head squeazle for me.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Great idea, Stew! I have a voltmeter (part of my FDA test kit). I can even take the new breaker with me and put the old one back in when I move on.

    Now that I get on the internet ona wireless computer, maybe some day we'll have wireless electricity. Boggles the mind...

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    We do have wireless electricity. Via microwave. The problem is pretty obvious though.

    I always thought it would be a great idea to have a battery pack type electronic circuit that would run at night and repower during sunlight hours. The catalyst on this process could be a wireless signal.

    There's other aspects but I can't even keep up with my current ideas.

    *shrug*

    Hi to the puppy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home