Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Friday, August 05, 2005

More Help From Upstairs

On Thursday, Lacy and I took Big Ride out to Vacaville. We stopped in Davis, CA., to shop in Borders Bookstore where I got the latest Harry Potter book. I bought it in hardback, instead of my usual CD audio book, because I should be spending less time in the truck in the near future. I like the small town of Davis, home to the University of Callifornia Davis Campus. School is in session; they look so young!

Back on the road, we headed for our new post office. The new p.o. box contained only a piece of junk mail (coupons). I sent some religious items to my sons and daughter which I had picked up for them in Wisconsin, and a calendar of Glacier National Park for 2006 to my sister - to help her plan our trip back to the park next year. Stunning pictures!

Back in the parking lot, I looked up the hill and found CostCo, the membership food warehouse. It was on my list, so I was delighted to find it so easily. We drove by, but I didn't want to leave Lacy in (a) the hot truck on a 100+ temperature day, or (b) in a running locked truck with the a/c on where someone could bash a window and just drive away, if they had a pocket full of Milkbones.

We then went to the discount store area, which in Vacaville is huge. I found a place to get a bathing suit ("We only have six left, because while it is August and 100 degrees F outside and prime swimming season, those things are out of season now." In the desert?! When are they going to wise up?), and lots of other stores, too. We shall return. From there, I found my bank, and then we went back to the campground where I am on the waiting list.

I decided to drop by, in the hopes that I could improve my standing on the waiting list and to ensure that they had not overlooked me if someone had moved out early or had cancelled a reservation. I'm glad I did: they in fact had a newly opened space big enough for Big Easy, available now! So I put down the deposit, and I plan to move in on Friday. Excellent timing, because I had paid for only one week at KOA in Sacramento and the next payment would be due Friday. The new place is on the front of the campground, next to a country road which is not busy. The place has a store, swimming pool, and all the hookups. And a monthly rate which is significantly less than what I was paying in Sacramento.

On leaving there, I looked on my new Vacaville map and found a back way to my new client's plant. It is 2-1/2 miles from the campground; I can ride the bike to work! According to my trouser's belt, which is recently on the tightest hole and is now loose again, daily bike rides will only help!

Lacy and I got back to the trailer by 6:00 pm, ready to grill a London broil which I have been marinating all day. But, too tired, so after a bowl of cut fruit and a few crackers (and of course Lacy's chicken) we called it a very, very good day!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    This is just your lucky place. What are the people there like?

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Brenda, the people are a mix, reflecting California as the melting pot of the Melting Pot. Compared to North Carolinians, they are about the same: friendly, sophisticated, trusting (to a point), generous (to a fault). Compared to New Jerseyans, the folks in California are angels; and the scum sucking, low down, dirty rotten scoundrels from New Jersey are... not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home