Hasty Ruminations

Speaking out, to remove all doubt. http://hastyruminations.blogspot.com

You are here > Weblog

Monday, August 29, 2005

Katrina Is Angry




Here are memorable sayings Monday morning from three people in New Orleans who were too sophisticated, too cool, and too smart to listen to orders to evacuate Sunday night:

---

“I’m not doing too good right now,” Chris Robinson said via cell phone from his home east of the city’s downtown. “The water’s rising pretty fast. I got a hammer and an ax and a crowbar, but I’m holding off on breaking through the roof until the last minute. Tell someone to come get me please. I want to live.”

On the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain, entire neighborhoods of one-story homes were flooded up to the rooflines. The Interstate 10 off-ramps nearby looked like boat ramps amid the white capped waves. Garbage cans and tires bobbed in the water.

Two people were stranded on the roof as murky water lapped at the gutters.

“Get us a boat!” a man in a black slicker shouted over the howling winds.

Across the street, a woman leaned from the second-story window of a brick home and shouted for assistance.

“There are three kids in here,” the woman said. “Can you help us?”

---

When it was safe to get out, these three and others said, “Screw you”. Now they expect a bunch of people to risk their lives during the storm itself to save their sorry a**es.

I would reply to them with the question Bill Cosby asked in his “Noah” act:

“How long can you tread water?”

6 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said…

    the ONLY silver lining in the Katrina cloud is that now no one is thinking about that woman camped out at Bush's house.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Stew Magoo said…

    Greg I know you're busy working and all but I'm going to have to lodge a complaint with Lacy if you don't post something pretty soon.

    You have been warned.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Mellie Helen said…

    Reminds me of the old story where a person is stuck atop a house during a flood. A guy comes by in a liferaft and offers to help the stranded person. "NO!" shouts the victim, "My God will save me!" A while later, another person comes by in a much larger boat and also offers assistance. "NO!" shouts the victim, "My God will save me!" After a bit, a helicopter hovers over the man, and through a bull horn, directs the victim to grab hold of the ladder he's lowering down to rescue him. "NO!" shouts the victim, "My God will save me!"

    Soon, the waters rise further, and swallow up everything, housetop, the man, and all.

    Shortly thereafter, the man was walking through the Pearly Gates, and saw God. "Hey, God!" he shouted, with a tinge of angry incredulity in his voice, "I *trusted* in you! Why didn't you come rescue me??" To which the Almighty replied, "Hey, I sent you a liferaft and a boat and a helicopter..."

    While this devastation is truly sad, and I mourn for every lost soul, I do have this observation: It was man's arrogance that led them to believe that they could thwart nature's powers and safely build a city on land not really suited for it. And it was man's arrogance that led so many to stay behind and believe that they (and they alone!) could overcome the effects of the storm. Well, pride goeth before a fall...

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Mellie Helen said…

    ...of course, here *I* am, living in quake-riddled California... :}

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Greg Finnegan said…

    Someone on another blog said "Please don't tell me how people should have evacuated. These poor people just couldn't evacuate."

    All 10,000 of them?! Heck, they STILL won't go. Fact: a Greyhound bus ticket with no discounts from New Orleans to Houston used to cost $42. That's less than two cases of Bud. According to NarcAnon, the street price of crack cocaine in LA is $40 for 1/4 gram (larger "rock"), and $10-$25 for 1/10 gram (smaller "rock"). So yes, those who listened COULD afford to leave.

     
  • At 4:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home